Growing Cider Apples in California
Apple Cider is a rapidly growing industry nationwide, and especially in the Pacific Northwest. This workshop will cover some of the main considerations when considering growing cider apples:
- Evaluation of (attendee’s) land for growing cider apples – climate, soil, water availability, etc.
- Cultural practices for growing cider apples: varieties, rootstocks, spacing, tree training, irrigation, nutrition, fruit thinning, pruning, pest control
- Harvest: hand or mechanical
- Production costs and potential returns.
- Growing cider apples and marketing hard cider from a farmer’s perspective
Moderator: Paul Vossen, UCCE Advisor Marin and Sonoma Counties and Carol Miles, Washington State University