How to Sell More Produce: What Consumers want in a Farmers’ Market and how you can provide it!
Have you ever wondered what your farmers’ market customers are thinking? Have you wondered what changes you could make that would dramatically increase your sales at the farmers market?
Learn how to increase your produce sales from what consumer surveys tell us. In this session, we’ll discuss consumer attitudes about buying local and the factors that influence their decisions, based on survey data from the Eat Local Placer & Nevada project. We’ll provide practical, hands-on guidelines and demonstrations to help farmers use this information.
- how farmers’ market consumers define local
- perceived barriers to purchasing local
- criteria for developing and using recipe cards to increase produce sales
- how convenience can increase sales
- safe and effective sampling at farmers’ markets
- impacts of sampling events on market sales
This session will be useful for specialty crop farmers and for farmers’ market managers looking for innovative ways to promote their growers.